Sunday 29 December 2013

Sometimes all we have to do is, Ask.

I complained in last post about lack of winter appearances and next day wind direction changed. I walked out next morning with lots of hope and find this. ok, Indian silverbills are supposed to be common residents but I had never found them here - probably now is only time when they find grass seeds to feed on.

Indian Silverbill
I would have preferred to photograph them from some more distance but they were feeding in such a way at ground level that the best way to take shots was to sit just a few feet away. and, they too were so pre-occupied with feeding that didn't mind me sitting next to them and taking shots. I even wonder if they had recruited me to keep a watch so that they can focus on feeding - task I performed dutifully by suddenly moving to alert them when a mongoose came within two three feets from them. Once the mongoose was gone, we took our positions back, they started feeding, I started taking photographs.

They were only two of them and while one was feeding non-stop and very fast as if they had seen food after long long time, the other seemed more than reasonably occupied with preening its tail. Its only when I downloaded the shots, understood why. It had caterpillar or something in its tail - surprising that it couldn't reach end of its tail to remove it and if not why it didn't ask for help from other individual?.
Indian Silverbill

I had a very similar encounter with another resident Munias - scaly breasted Munia around same time two years back and I had wished then if they could have posed giving better frames.
Don't we get what we ask for on overwhelmingly many occasions?

Scaly breasted Munia

Munia

Munia

Munia

Munia

That was a small group of around 8-10 with most of them being Immature and two or three Adults. I have never taken as many shots of anything as I took of them. Am yet to even transfer some of the shots to computer. I almost never do it, but with these Munias, I am almost certainly likely to go for one more exclusive post dedicated to same individuals and similar shots. that however, some other time. I have been taking so many photos recently that I am sure there are other things waiting for attention before I repeat these Munias.

No comments:

Post a Comment