Wednesday 15 June 2016

A tale of three species

Last Sunday afternoon around 5 pm Comman Myna distress call fell on my ears. I was sitting outside with the reason that is keeping me offline for last few weeks. My ability to recognise and respond to the call was affected somewhat as brain was pre-engaged with current duty but even then it did not result in delay more than couple of seconds when I could not dismiss the calls as routine alert calls by Myna - even though I could not think beyond what if not routine alert calls indicating presence of some predator not of immediate danger to them, I needed to respond. go and check.

I call Mom, handover my duty to her and run towards the tree where Mynas were in problem. they have their nest in that Gulmohar tree only few meters away. I see there was an animal high up there - rather, I could not see the animal high up there. No, it was not that high, actually I was wearing my reading glasses. (Few months back, while trying to take macro shots, I ended up scratching and making one of the correct number (fiber) glasses nearly opaque, and since then instead of buying a new glass, I am trying to reduce my number to current reading glasses to save 400 rupees. so unless I need to respond to such distress calls, use reading glasses all the time.). All I could make out was, there was some animal in high up tree cavity. I could not see properly and could not decide what to do - I ran back home to change glasses. I pick up glasses and also make an error I should be ashamed of. I thought it was already too late to help Mynas if their nest cavity was within reach of the animal and picked up camera to record what animal that was. (I should have remembered something useful to threaten the raider rather than remembering camera). Mom however didnt make that mistake and asked me to get the long bamboo stick too. all these took not more than few moments and I was there again in front of the tree with correct glasses, camera and bamboo stick. 

What struck me instantly was - what level of predator I WAS. ..or at least how powerful species I belong to. So far I was looking at the episode from Myna and my perspective but as I reach there and see the animal was already on its way down from Neem tree next to where it was originally, I suddenly see things from his perspective. It was escaping the scene as fast as it could - why? because one human - who cant leave ground to reach him that high on tree- came, could not even see him properly and went back as fast as it came without doing anything. and still that being tentatively seen by human created a big risk for it from which it needed to flee asap.

I managed to capture couple of shots before it manged to reach ground and run at full speed away from me.







No comments:

Post a Comment